As a mom, you always get advice on how to raise your children. If you have a son, you may be warned not to coddle him and tell him to “cut the apron cords”. Of course, you don’t want to be one of those moms who hover and panic at the sight of tears or a little cut, but you also want your little boy to know that you will always be there for him.
Here are some tips on how to build and maintain a healthy and solid relationship with your son.
- Teach your son important life skills: It is important for you to teach your child to become an independent adult. Maybe your son can cook and clean with you from time to time, or maybe you can help him stitch up the eye on his favorite stuffed animal. This will allow you to bond in a unique way and will also help your son gain confidence. He will be sure to thank you when he has to teach his roommate how to do laundry.
- Spend quality time together doing the things he loves: Whether your son likes to play video games, build with Legos or ride a bike, make an effort to do his favorite things together. He will appreciate the fact that you are interested in his interests.
- Help Him Build Strong Relationships With Others
Your son’s relationship with you will have a major impact on his other important relationships in his life. Maintain a relationship with his father, encourage friendships with boys and girls, set aside time for grandparents and older parents, and provide opportunities for mentors.
- Respect and trust each other: Your relationship with your small boy will play an important role in his emotional development. By forming a bond based on mutual trust and respect, you can teach your son to respect himself and others.
- Be human: By being open to your mistakes and your falls, you can reinforce the idea that no one is perfect. This will help your son to feel more comfortable in his own skin.
Like all moms, you’ll encounter lots of trials during your parenting journey.