Dating is difficult at the best of times, but when there’s a pandemic, it certainly makes things a whole lot more difficult. Usually, there’s a similar structure when online dating. You match with someone, you start talking and you like how they’re coming across, and then you go for a date. From there you either go on a second date or you never speak to each other again. But due to face to face dates being impossible at the moment, it’s really changed how things work.
Here are the 10 Ways Dating Is Changing In 2020
1. THE CONVERSATIONS GO FAR DEEPER. Typical conversation starters on dating apps can get a bit boring over time. There’s nothing exciting about a message that simply says “hey” or “what’s up?” It’s no surprise that many people don’t hear back after that. But now things have changed in more ways than one. The core focus of a lot of conversations will be based on current world events. It’s a good way to find out what other people’s views are and you might find that you bond over things that you wouldn’t usually discuss. Climate change, the earth, and politics are all important topics to talk about if you really want to build an emotional connection with a stranger. You might have a lot in common!
2. THERE’S LESS PRESSURE TO MEET FACE TO FACE. Have you ever felt that after speaking to a match for a few days, you need to secure a date before they disappear? Well, you’re not the only one. It can often feel like there’s a ticking clock and if you’re not fast enough then you’ll miss your chance. Not being able to see people face to face at the moment definitely relieves some of the pressure, which means you can just focus on really getting to know them instead.
3. SPONSORED: THE BEST DATING/RELATIONSHIPS ADVICE ON THE WEB. Check out Relationship Hero a site where highly trained relationship coaches get you, get your situation, and help you accomplish what you want. They help you through complicated and difficult love situations like deciphering mixed signals, getting over a breakup, or anything else you’re worried about. You immediately connect with an awesome coach on text or over the phone in minutes. Just click here…
4. IT’S LESS ABOUT FLIRTING AND MORE ABOUT BUILDING A CONNECTION. If your usual flirting messages don’t seem appropriate at the moment, then that’s okay. The crisis has caused a lot of people to think more about what’s important to them, so maybe you’ve decided that you’d rather get to know someone on a deeper level because you have the first date. If that’s the case, then it’s always a good idea to bring up topics that you’re passionate about to see if they share the same views as well. Who knows? You might be more similar than you realize.
5. IT MIGHT JUST LEAD TO FRIENDSHIP. Although a lot of people don’t use dating apps to find friends, it can be a good place to meet interesting people who you can have good conversations with, whether the relationship remains platonic or not. We’re in the middle of a global crisis, so many of us are lonely and in need of a conversation with someone. Sometimes it’s easier to speak to a stranger rather than someone you know IRL.
6. THERE’S LESS CHANCE OF BEING GHOSTED. There’s not always a clear reason for being ghosted and it doesn’t always mean that your match suddenly found you boring. It could be that they were busy with work and forgot to reply and then they avoided messaging back in case it was awkward. A lot of people are not at work or they’re working at home at the moment and have fewer distractions, so there’s definitely less chance of them doing a disappearing act.
7. IT’S EASIER TO BOND WITH SOMEONE. It’s not always easy knowing what to say to a match. Do you talk about work? Do you tell them about your breakfast? Do you bore them by telling them about your uneventful day? But now we don’t have to think too hard about what to talk about. We’re all in the same boat right now, so we can all agree that this situation we are in is difficult and exhausting. In a way, you’ll be bonding over your mutual despair, but it will bring you closer together.
8. DATES ARE OVER VIDEO CALLS. Some people might be scared of the idea of video calling someone that they’ve never met IRL, but when there’s no other choice, it might be worth doing it for a change. Dating involves taking risks and if you really like them and you can’t bear the thought of not meeting them for the foreseeable future, then why not ask them to have a date with you over facetime? It breaks you out of your usual routine and it adds a bit more excitement to your day.
9. IT MAKES IT A LOT MORE EXCITING WHEN YOU MEET. The build-up to meeting someone is often a lot more exciting if you’ve been talking for weeks on end. You’ve been discussing ideas for potentials dates and having really deep, interesting conversations for a while now, so when you do meet, it will feel less awkward and more like you’ve known them forever.
10. IT MIGHT CHANGE THINGS GOING FORWARD. Maybe dating will change for good once this is all over. Maybe people will be kinder and more respectful, at least. Either way, I think many people will be grateful for the conversations that they have with strangers on dating apps, even if doesn’t lead to anything romantic.